Kotlin is a new programming language that compiles in to the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) bytecode. Kotlin was invented by Jetbrains, the company that release the popular Java IDE, IntelliJ IDEA. Kotlin was developed by Jetbrains programmers team in St. Petersburg, Russia. “Kotlin” name comes from the “Kotlin Island” near St. Petersburg. The interesting thing about Kotlin is “Semiclons” are optional in the sytax. Kotlin can be use for developing Android apps.
According to official website of Kotlin Language, Kotlin has following features;
- Drastically reduce the amount of boilerplate code you need to write.
- Avoid entire classes of errors such as null pointer exceptions.
- Build server-side applications, Android apps or frontend code running in the browser.
- Leverage existing frameworks and libraries of the JVM with 100% Java Interoperability.
- Command Line Compiler or First Class IDE Support. Freedom to choose.
I found an article writen by Ivan Kušt on Toptal Blog which teachs Ten Kotlin Features To Boost Android Development.
You may also enjoy reading: “How to Build a UI Component That Does What You Want”